Location: 13 Pascack Road, Park Ridge, NJ
Hours: April - October, Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday, Noon - 4 pm
201-930-0124 (Barn in season)
Call for accessibility information.
The Wortendyke Barn Museum, a National Register landmark, is
all that remains of the original 460-acre Wortendyke family farm.The barn,
built circa 1770, is an outstanding example of the vernacular architecture
referred to as a "New World Dutch Barn" which could be found throughout 18th
and 19th century Bergen County. Today there are probably fewer than 100 of
these barns left.
The main feature of the museum is the barn building. It was made completely of
local wood, down to the nails called trunnels. Massive anchor beams, supported
by posts creating an H-frame, support the entire structure. They tended to be
wider than long with very steep, sloping roofs that allowed for the large
storage area. These barns were built to store diversified crops with the side
bays used for keeping a variety of animals and the hay stored above in very
large, roomy haylofts. The large entrances on both gable ends allowed for the
efficient unloading of the wagons. Because the floors were raised off the
ground on a sill, the wood plank floors could last for decades.
The Wortendyke Barn Museum's exhibits include handmade 18th and 19th century
farm implements and tools, the history of the Wortendyke family farm, and
exhibits showing the agricultural history of Bergen County from the first
settlers through the 20th century.
The Wortendyke family settled in this area in 1735. From 1735 to 1851 when the
farm was sold, the land was maintained by the family as a working farm for over
115 years from before the French and Indian War until nine years before the
start of the Civil War. After 1851 the land was sold several times but the barn
remained in use as a barn until well into the 20th century. After restoration
was completed, Bergen County opened the barn as a museum and county historic